Search for a story:

TTM too strong for Ubuntu Cape Town

Sport - Date: 06 December 2018

Written by: Frank Mavhungu / Viewed: 484


After losing two league matches in succession, Tshakhuma Tsha Madzivhandila (TTM) restored their pride by crushing Ubuntu Cape Town 3-0 in their Nedbank qualification-round match at the Thohoyandou Stadium on Sunday.

The local lads approached the game aggressively, with their strikers giving the visitors’ defence no time to breathe.

Carlington Nyadombo, the TTM centre back, watched the game from the grandstand. He was still serving his suspension after receiving four yellow cards in previous matches.

It took TTM 20 minutes to open their account. Wonderboy Makhubu blasted in a rocket from close range, following Edward Maqele’s brilliant pass.

Realizing that TTM were unstoppable, Ubuntu tried to neutralize them by demonstrating their rough skills. That prompted the referee, Mr Siyabonga Nkomo, to flash two yellow cards in quick succession. Siyabonga Madikane was booked for tackling TTM’s dribbling wizard, Onyedikachi Ononogbu, from behind in the 26th minute. Rodwill Bezuidenhout was reprimanded for a similar offence two minutes later.

Ubuntu lost their original fighting spirit after the two yellow cards. TTM capitalized and scored two goals before the end of the first half. Edward Maqele was on target in the 40th minute, following a neat pass from Onyedikachi Ononogbu.

Their third and final goal came on the stroke of half time. Ndabayithethwa Ndlondlo dribbled past two defenders in a row and beat the keeper with a ground cutter.

TTM replaced Wonderboy Makhubu and Edward Maqele with Aluwani Nedzamba and Siyabulela Shai respectively

Waseem Isaacs of Ubuntu was the final player to go into the referee’s book. He obstructed Nhlanhla Mgaga in the 79th minute. Realizing that victory was almost certain, TTM played entertaining football in the last 10 minutes of the game.

Fawaaz Basadien of Ubuntu kicks the ball, while Tshepo Makgoga of TTM pulls him back from behind.



Frank Mavhungu

Frank is a Human Resources Manager at the Department of Public Works in Limpopo. He is the longest serving correspondent of the Mirror, having joined us at the end of 1990.  He mainly writes sports reports and resides at Tsianda Village. In 2004, Frank won the National Castle League Award, an award for the best reporter in the SAB league in South Africa.


Recent Articles